fbpx

Lilies…beautiful, but keep away from cats!

So, the groundhog did not see his shadow this year, which predicts an early spring. Nothing bad about that, right?! Spring means warmer weather, longer days and beautiful flowers. Again…nothing wrong with that!

Did you know that some flowers may be highly toxic to your cat? 

How To Identify Lilies and Which are Poisonous

Why are lilies so bad for your cat, you ask?

Interestingly enough, the exact toxic component in lilies has not yet been identified. All we know is that it can be very dangerous if your cat is exposed to even the smallest amount. This includes any part of the lily…petals, stem, pollen and leaves. 

What signs does lily exposure cause?

The signs your cat may show will depend on the type of lily it is exposed to. Some types of lilies may cause GI signs, such as hypersalivation, not eating, and vomiting just to name a few. Some types of lilies may cause acute kidney failure in as little as three days.

Now you’re freaking out! What do you do next?

Immediately contact a veterinary care facility if you suspect your cat has ingested or been exposed to a lily. It is important to figure the lily type or at least to take a picture of the lily-as this will dictate treatment. Poison Control may need to be contacted, as they can help determine the specific treatment recommendations based on the type of lily ingested. 

Treatment:

Treatment will depend on the lily type. If your cat was exposed to a lily that can cause kidney failure, time is of the essence! Some studies show that if treatment is not pursued within 18 hours of exposure, the kidney damage may be irreversible. Once you arrive at the hospital, the doctor will probably make your cat vomit and give it a bath (to remove possible pollen). Various other supportive care measures, such bloodwork work, urinalysis, and starting on IV fluids for kidney support may be indicated but will be at your doctor’s discretion. In general, with immediate and proper care, your cat’s prognosis is good.

Helpful Resources

ASPCA Poison Control Hotline: 888-426-4435

Pet Poison: 800-213-6680

According to the Pet Poison Hotline, some safer flower alternatives are:

 

347 Main Street
Watertown, MA 02472
Get directions »

617-744-9540

Urgent Care hours of operation
  • Monday-Friday4pm-11pm
  • Saturday-Sunday10am-7pm